The Big "Classic R&B 12-inches on CD" Thread

From the stanky to the smooth, come and find yourself a groove!

The Big "Classic R&B 12-inches on CD" Thread

Postby Fullasoul » Sun May 14, 2006 4:28 am

One of the greatest challenges faced by those of us who cherish and collect classic R&B is trying to find our favorite 12-inch remixes on CD. Of course many of us still have our original vinyl (in varied condition, of course), and some of us take great care in trying to carefully transfer the original vinyl to CD for our own enjoyment (guilty as charged!), but there's just NOTHING like finding a classic R&B 12-inch mix that you loved back in the day on a proper CD release. That said, I thought it might be fun (not to mention USEFUL!!) to start a thread compiling a list of where we've managed to find some of these classic mixes from yesteryear on CD. :)

Of course with so many different compilations having been released all over the world in recent years, we'll never be able to track'em ALL down...but if we all pitch in, I'd think we could come up with a pretty wicked list!

I'll start by listing a few of the rare gems I've managed to secure in my own collection:

Atlantic Starr - One Lover At A Time (Extended Version).....Y84 Presents-Urban Contemporary (Japan)
Barry White - Sho' You Right (Remix).....Hyperactive! The 12-inch Dance Album (UK)
Cherrelle with Alexander O'Neal - Saturday Love (Extended Version).....Club Epic, Vol. 1
Club Nouveau - Why You Treat Me So Bad (Club Mix).....Hit It. (Promo)
D. Train - You're The One For Me (Shep Pettibone 12-inch Remix).....Mastercuts-Classic Mix Vol. 1
Dazz Band - Let It Whip (12-inch Mix).....Funkology Vol. 1-Got To Give It Up
Five Star - Let Me Be The One (Philadelphia Remix).....Smooth Grooves-After Hours Cool Down
George Clinton - Atomic Dog (Atomic Mix).....Phat Trax-The Best Of Old School, Vol. 3
George Clinton - Why Should I Dog U Out (Statamainbody West Coast Mix).....Y84 Presents-Urban Contemporary (Japan)
Guy - Groove Me (Extended Version).....Dance Hits '89 (Japan)
Guy - My Fantasy (Original 12-inch Remix).....Mastercuts-New Jack Swing Vol. 2
Gwen Guthrie - Ain't Nothin' Goin' On But The Rent (Mark Berry 12-inch Original Mix).....Mastercuts-Classic Mix Vol. 1
Heatwave - Mind Blowing Decisions (Original US 12-inch Mix).....Mastercuts-Classic Mellow Vol. 2
Herb Alpert - Keep Your Eye On Me (Extended Version).....Dance Beat Collection (Japan)
James Ingram with Michael McDonald - Yah Mo B There (John 'Jellybean' Benitez 12-inch Remix).....Mastercuts-Classic Mix Vol. 1
Jesse Johnson - She (I Can't Resist) (Remix).....All Night Dance Party (Japan)
Jesse Johnson's Revue - Free World (12-inch Version).....Phat Trax-The Best Of Old School, Vol. 3
Johnny Kemp - Just Got Paid (Original Teddy Riley Remix).....Mastercuts-New Jack Swing Vol. 2
Keith Sweat - I Want Her (Extended Version).....Y84 Presents-Urban Contemporary (Japan)
Keith Sweat - Make It Last Forever (Extended Version).....Smooth Grooves-After Hours Cool Down
Keith Sweat - Something Just Ain't Right (Extended Version).....Y84 Presents-Urban Contemporary (Japan)
Loose Ends - Gonna Make You Mine (West Side Mix).....Mastercuts-Classic 80's Groove 3
Loose Ends - Magic Touch (Club Mix).....Club UK-Ten Extended UK Club Hits (UK)
Mac Band feat. The McCampbell Brothers - Roses Are Red (Extended Version).....Hyperactive! The 12-inch Dance Album (UK)
Michael Jeffries with Karyn White - Not Thur Being With You (The Club Fire Mix).....Y84 Presents-Urban Contemporary (Japan)
New Edition - If It Isn't Love (Club Mix).....Dance Hits '88 (Japan)
New Edition - N.E. Heart Break (Extended Club Version).....Dance Hits '89 (Japan)
New Edition - You're Not My Kind Of Girl (Extended Version).....Smooth Grooves-After Hours Cool Down **slightly different from the original 12-inch version**
Ray Parker Jr. - I Don't Think That Man Should Sleep Alone (Original 12-inch Mix).....Mastercuts-Classic Mellow Vol. 2
Rick James - Bustin' Out (12-inch Mix).....Funkology Vol. 1-Got To Give It Up
Rose Royce - Magic Touch (Extended Version).....Mastercuts-Classic 80's Groove 3
Shanice Wilson - No Half Steppin' (Club Mix).....All Night Dance Party (Japan)
Shannon - Let The Music Play (Remix).....Club Epic, Vol. 4
Stephanie Mills - (You're Puttin') A Rush On Me (Extended Club Mix).....Smooth Grooves-After Hours Cool Down
Stephanie Mills - The Medicine Song (Mark Berry 12-inch Original Mix).....Mastercuts-Classic Mix Vol. 1
Teena Marie - Lovergirl (Special 12-inch Dance Mix).....Club Epic, Vol. 1
Tevin Campbell - Just Ask Me To (Hip Hop Mix).....Mega Mixes In The House (Japan)
The Commodores - Brick House (12-inch Mix).....Funkology Vol. 1-Got To Give It Up
The Jacksons - State Of Shock (Dance Mix).....Club Epic, Vol. 5
The Jets - Rocket 2 U (Extended Version).....Dance Hits '88 (Japan)
Will To Power - Dreamin' (Manhattan Mix Edit).....Club Epic, Vol. 3
Will To Power - Fading Away (Power House Mix).....Club Epic, Vol. 4
Will To Power - Say It's Gonna Rain (Club DJ Version).....Club Epic, Vol. 6
Zapp - I Play The Talk Box (Extended Version).....Y84 Presents-Urban Contemporary (Japan)

So there's a few of the elusive gems I've managed to find....feel free to add some of yours!

Fullasoul
Last edited by Fullasoul on Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fullasoul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Check This Out!

Postby vc61 » Sat May 27, 2006 12:02 pm

I have a few nice 12" indeed, but as you said they're all on vinyl.
Somebody should make a great cd-compilation!!
Busy Doin' Something Close to Nothing...
vc61
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Postby Fullasoul » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:31 pm

alright....since there's some new folks around, I thought it might be nice to bring this topic back from the dead (as it shouldn't have ever died to begin with!!).

Does anybody else have some cool, classic mixes found on compilation CD's that we may not have heard of, or am I gonna be left with all the work? :lol:

Fullasoul
Fullasoul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby liv4luv » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:52 pm

I'm going to have check my cd's now :D
liv4luv
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Postby Fullasoul » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:40 am

alright...here's a few more:

Pretty Poison - Catch Me I'm Falling (12-inch Mix).....Pulsating Grooves 3
Sly Fox - Let's Go All The Way (Extended Version).....Pulsating Grooves 3
Re-Flex - The Politics Of Dancing (12-inch Version).....Pulsating Grooves 3
Was (Not Was) - Walk The Dinosaur (NY Dangerous Mix).....Pulsating Grooves 3

And....one of the COOLEST rarities I've come across in a long time....an untitled R&B sampler CD from MCA Records, circa 1987 (that's right, a promo CD from '87!), featuring the special Radio Edit version of Ready For The World's 'Mary Goes 'Round'! Actually, aside from featuring a few album tracks from artists who's albums were never released on CD, this disc had THREE of these special 'Radio Edit' versions:

Ready For The World - Mary Goes 'Round (Radio Edit).....MCA R&B Sampler 1987
Patti LaBelle - Something Special (Is Gonna Happen Tonight) (Radio Edit).....MCA R&B Sampler 1987
Bobby Brown - Girl Next Door (Radio Edit).....MCA R&B Radio Sampler 1987

So what's so special about these Radio Edits? Well....this was during a period of time where MCA was regularly referring to slightly edited versions of the 12-inch mix as 'Radio Edits'....so what these are are more or less Remix Edits as opposed to Radio Edits. Each one is significantly longer (and different) than the regular album version....and other than this promo disc, NONE of these mixes were ever available ANYWHERE other than the original 12-inch vinyl. Pretty cool, eh? 8)

Fullasoul
Fullasoul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby getblue » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:20 am

George Clinton - Tweakin' (A Mix) ....... Classic P-Funk Mastercuts Volume 1
Andre Cymone - The Dance Electric (Long Version) ....... Grand 12-Inches 3
Nona Hendryx - Baby Go-Go (Superstitious Mix) ...... Rough & Tough
getblue

Postby jasfunk » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:37 pm

I have this one

- Prince & The Revolution - America (Extended version) - Minneapolis Funk (french compilation)

Courtesy of our friend Amadeus ;)

And

- Oliver Cheatham - Get Down Saturday Night (extended) - Music Box (spanish compilation)
- The Whispers - And The Beat Goes On (extended) - Music Box

But I'm not sure these last two are so rare.
jasfunk

Postby drl2006 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:11 pm

The "New Jack Swing Mastercuts" series (4 CDs) has 12" / extended versions of Bobby Brown, Guy, Ralph Tresvant, R Kelly, Heavy D and loads more.

Bobby Brown released a box set (Japan only) with some of his classic hits remixed on CD (taken from the 12" versions I think).

Does anyone know the best way to convert vinyl to CD / MP3? I've bought quite a few EPs and have converted them with limited success!
drl2006

Postby Fullasoul » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:54 pm

Hey, thanks for posting!

Indeed, there are some great remixes available on the Mastercuts: New Jack Swing discs. I only have the first 2 handy ATM, and going through them now is showing me that, in addition to the handful of mixes they used that already had their own, easy-to-find CD-Maxi release, quite a few of the once hard-to-find (on CD, at least) mixes have since been made part of the brilliant 2-disc 'New Jack Swing Gold' set. Even still, here's a few I found on volumes 1 and 2 that I think are probably still more easily found on the Mastercuts discs than on any other CD release:

Johnny Gill - Rub You The Right Way (Extended Hype!).....Mastercuts: New Jack Swing 1, Johnny The Remix (Japan)
Guy - Her (Hip Hop Mix).....Mastercuts: New Jack Swing 1
Today - I Got The Feeling (12-inch Version)....Mastercuts: New Jack Swing 1
Basic Black - Whatever It Takes (12-inch Mix).....Mastercuts: New Jack Swing 2
Groove B Chill - Swingin' Single (12-inch Swingers Club Mix).....Mastercuts: New Jack Swing 2
Guy - My Fantasy (Original 12-inch Remix).....Mastercuts: New Jack Swing 2
La Rue - Serious (12-inch Club Mix).....Mastercuts: New Jack Swing 2

It should be noted that the 12-inch version of 'I Got The Feeling' on the Mastercuts disc is not TRULY the full 12-inch mix. It is actually a 4:35 'edit' of the 12-inch version. The full 12-inch mix IS available on a rare promo CD, though. The full mix clocks in at 6:09, and the promo includes FIVE other mixes on it, including the acapella, 7-inch Mix, and a House Mix.

Oh, and that Japanese Bobby Brown set is FANTASTIC, isn't it? I haven't listed that one here yet, since, it's a bit more obvious than a lot of what I've listed thus far (ie most of these are nestled onto various artist compilations or rare promos), but eventually for the sake of the thread (which could really NEVER be 'complete' anyways), I'll list it :)

As for your question regarding converting vinyl, I'm hard-pressed on what to tell you. I have a full production studio here at my disposal that I use for various recording/remastering projects, therefore I have everything at my disposal (including the remastering experience) to yield fantastic results from vinyl. However, although I'm intending to offer this 'service' for the vinyl pieces I sell through fullasoul.com soon (once I get moving and list the several THOUSAND 12-inchers I have available here!), I'm not really looking to offer the service for converting people's own 12-inchers at this time. There ARE places on the web that do it, but I can't personally vouche for any of them since they can't do anything for me that I can't already do myself here :)

If you're intent to try it yourself, start basic.....make sure you have a turntable (duh!), a PC, and a GOOD way to feed what comes from the turntable into the PC (cables, sound card, etc.) Once you've got that part down, there's a near-endless amount of options.....
Fullasoul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Funk, Soul and RNB