New Old School

From the stanky to the smooth, come and find yourself a groove!

New Old School

Postby rickwitdamerc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Old dogs can learn new tricks. That's why I'm here. Lets say. Just say. That I don't know anything past 1979. That I really want to know who I should give a listen to. That we all should give a listen to, to bring us up to date. There is a huge number of us that either don't know where to start or haven't kept up. This site is the now, for sure. Tell us about what is good and we should be listening to because we may have missed it. Give us the dirt on where these artists are playing and for us that can't get there, where we can hear or buy them. Even if they aren't around anymore but you think that we should give a listen, post here, please. I'm old but my ears haven't turned to dust yet.
rickwitdamerc

Check This Out!

Re: New Old School

Postby Fullasoul » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 am

Wow...nothing past 79, eh?

Well, that's too much ground to cover in one post, lol. But I will say, as I'd guess a lot of Fullasoul fans/listeners would say, that today's soul and R&B are NOTHING like they once were. BUT it's a misconception that good soul/funk/R&B records aren't still being made. They are...but since this music is no longer the force it once was in the mainstream, it's not always as easy to find. The good news is, I've done much of the work for you....I listen to a LOT of new music while building Fullasoul Radio's playlist. The goal is to cut through the crap they're calling "R&B" these days, find the REAL DEAL artists and releases that are out but not necessarily getting their due shine, and blending them with a helping of older music that has stood the test of time (regardless of whether or not they were ever "hit" records).

So...not to sound like an infomercial for Fullasoul Radio, but if you're tuned in, you're bound to discover some great new(er) music that you'll come to enjoy B-)
Fullasoul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rickwitdamerc » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:22 pm

When I first got here, the 2 main things that I noticed were that there was a lot (a lot) of things to experience to bring me uptodate (from 1979). The second, and this bothered me, was that a not bad number of people were viewing the posts but leaving no comments. After being here a couple of weeks and reading,listening and viewing there is no doubt that you have done the heavy lifting and my post is close to an insult. I did get you to leave a comment and share your experience and opinion with us. So here it is, my advice to anyone that finds this site. Get into it. It is great. I don't expect anymore comments here because the one above is the best that I could hope for. Thank you.
rickwitdamerc

Postby macp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Great post but there is so much good music to listen to from 79 on. It is probably my era too and i am still discovering stuff I have not heard. I can think of people like sherrick, bbq band, mac band, total contrast, loose ends, millie jackson, shalamar, jackie graham and so on and so on :D
macp

Postby Fullasoul » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:16 pm

I think many folks around my age faced a similar situation as I did. SO much good music came from the late 70's, all through the 80's and then even the early 90's. In my opinion, the quality of mainstream R&B/Soul music has been on a steady decline since the late 90's. Now that's NOT to say it's been all bad....and note that I did say "mainstream" (good soul and R&B is ALWAYS around, it comes down to how hard you have to search for it!)...but as I became less interested in what was coming out on the "new release" shelves, I delved back more into the earlier stuff. There really was so much depth at one point that one may or may not have always managed to keep up with it all. The beauty of that is that the music is still living on, waiting to be rediscovered :) I've tried to make sure that's reflected in Fullasoul Radio's playlist from day one.
Fullasoul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby macp » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:49 pm

I agree cant believe some of the stuff playing on the radio now and classed as r&b.The reason I listen to fullasoul is the wonderful mix of fantastic music from my favourite era`s and some well chosen more modern stuff. Keep it up you are doing an amazing job.
macp

Postby Fullasoul » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks!
Fullasoul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Funk, Soul and RNB