Notoriously unreleased R&B material.....

From the stanky to the smooth, come and find yourself a groove!

Notoriously unreleased R&B material.....

Postby Fullasoul » Wed May 24, 2006 1:41 pm

Having been talking to a friend of mine who was involved in a few "unreleased projects" recently, I thought it might make for good discussion to see what projects people remember NOT being released, and what they may (or may not) know about them :)

- Babyface - A Love Story (Album): Slated for release in 2004, only a couple of the tracks from this set would appear on the eventually-released "Grown & Sexy" album ("God Must Love U" and "The Loneliness"). The rest of the material remains unreleased.

- Deja Gruv - Luv Jonz (Album): Slated for release in 1996, this project never saw the light of day. Universal DID send promo 12-inch and promo CD singles to radio for the lead-off single, "You're Not Around", but the album itself remains unreleased. With a little luck, perhaps my friend Ike will come and elaborate on this a bit more fully for us :)

- R. Kelly - Loveland (Album): After many delays, eventually this album became "The Chocolate Factory". Some of the material that didn't make the transition was given to Joe for his 2003 album, "And Then..." ("More & More" and "Make You My Baby"), while several other tracks still remain unreleased.

- Al B. Sure! - unknown title (Album): Unfortunately I don't have a lot of "info" on this one, but just confirming that it existed is probably big news for some people. I've never seen it mentioned in online discussions, but having been in the position I was in professionally at the time, I can confirm with 100% certainty that there was a COMPLETED follow-up to 1992's "Sexy Versus". If anybody happens to know any details, we'd love to hear about them!

- Nodesha Felix - Get It While It's Hot (Album): Having just posted about her in another section of the site, I'm reminded that there were SEVERAL tracks recorded for this project that were later dropped. Some of the songs which remain unreleased are: Why You Wanna Lie, Pressure Point, I Got Your Back (all 3 of these being Jam/Lewis contributions!). Other songs that did make the finally release were also shortened or changed as well. The completed album was retitled to "Nodesha" (as was the artist, lol!), and the album was released to many markets worldwide, but EXCLUDING the US.

- Joi - Amoeba Cleansing Syndrome (Album): Although this is one of the more well-known unreleased projects, I personally don't have any of the particulars. Perhaps someone wants to fill us in?

I've got more....but I'd like to see what you guys got...so let's hear it!

:)

Fullasoul
Last edited by Fullasoul on Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fullasoul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Check This Out!

Postby Malcolm » Fri May 26, 2006 12:30 am

hmmm didn't Tony Toni Tone record some things which weren't released?
Malcolm

Postby Fullasoul » Fri May 26, 2006 8:43 pm

Malcolm wrote:hmmm didn't Tony Toni Tone record some things which weren't released?

I don't personally know of any full-length projects they didn't release....I know of some alternate recordings and such.....a proper TTT version of "Me and the Blind Man" (eventually a re-recorded version of this appeared on Raphael's first solo album), and some longer, unedited versions of songs from the House Of Music album....stuff like that.

Oh...one interesting thing I know of that at least involves TTT is Tevin Campbell's cover of Stevie Wonder's "Knocks Me Off My Feet". Although it's a TTT production, the released version doesn't sound much like TTT...or much like a "band" production at all for that matter. This was the SECOND version....the original version that was recorded was INDEED a full "band involvement" situation, and had that live TTT sound to it. I asked Tevin why this was re-recorded once, but because I kinda loaded the question by saying how much better I liked the first version before I even asked him, I don't think I got a fully accurate answer :) Let's just say that SOMEONE in the mix didn't like the first version, and wanted that more "formulated" sound to the production....so it was re-recorded.

Fullasoul
Last edited by Fullasoul on Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fullasoul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fullasoul » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:25 am

well since it appears I've managed to even stump the "Rah-hedz" on this one (and the fact that nobody else is comin' with any info of their own here), I'll add this one:

Rahsaan Patterson - Destiny (Song): Co-written with Steve "Silk" Hurley and recorded in 1997, it's unclear whether this unreleased track was meant for a Rahsaan record or not...but the song definately exists.

Fullasoul
Last edited by Fullasoul on Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fullasoul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fullasoul » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:23 am

Ralph Tresvant - Living In A Dream (Album): Not much is known about this project, but Ralph recently made mention of it in an interview, noting that this was a full-length solo project that he was intending to release in 1987 during a time where it looked like New Edition would be no more. When it was decided that Johnny Gill would be an INCLUSION to the group rather than a replacement, recording began on the Heartbreak album, and Ralph chose to put Living In A Dream on the back burner and focus on the group project.
Last edited by Fullasoul on Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fullasoul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eddie » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:05 pm

The quality has to be there. That could be why some of these recordings are in the can. Motown issued Lionel Ritchie's demos and alternate takes of "Can't slow Down" Lp from 1983. To be honest, only 1 track I consider worth owning and I loved the original album. On the rough demo mixes, Lionel even forgets the words.

After much anticipation, the Chic mix of Diana Ross's 1980 Lp and interest has remained only minimial with many of her fans. On the otherhand, David Ruffin's unreleased album David is now selling for hundreds and is considered among his best work.

I do know Michael Jackson recorded quite a few songs for the Dangerous Lp and I don't know the quality or if many were later released.
eddie

Postby Fullasoul » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:54 am

Johnny Gill - Live (Album): A live album was recorded, assembled and slated for release as a followup to 1993's 'Provocative'. It appeared on Motown's schedule in '93, and remained there through much of '94...but ultimately, the release fell victim to the massive changes that were going on at Motown during this period, and never saw the light of day. The live version of 'Quiet Time To Play' that was released as a single was taken from the same recording that was to be used for the live album.
Fullasoul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Deja Gruv

Postby qchawk » Sun May 17, 2009 12:05 am

I found one of the songs off of that Deja Gruv-Luv Jonz album here are the links to "Close to You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHEzyaeIUUo

I listened to it and found it pretty good. Can't figure out why they were so underrated.
qchawk

Re: Notoriously unreleased R&B material.....

Postby Fullasoul » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:01 am

Bobby Brown - Tap Into My Heart (Song): Bobby performed this song during the MTV Video Music Awards in 1990. A 'TV track' was used, so clearly there is a completed studio version of the song in existence somewhere.
Fullasoul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Funk, Soul and RNB